Richard Denny Your Success Coach
Selling is of course the most important activity in any business. Those who sell bring in the money that everybody else can live off, so the man or woman who can motivate and inspire sales people is highly sought after. Before we go through the top 10 tips, do remember there is a big difference between a sales force and a sales team. They require totally different managerial and motivational sales skills sets. A sales force is a group of individuals entirely dependent on their own performance for results. A sales team of course is interdependent on each other for the results.
- You the sale leader must be an effective sales person, you don’t have to be the greatest but you must be good, and be still willing to go out and sell where necessary. To be an effective leader in sales you must have the trust and respect of the sales people.
- You must recognise part of your responsibility is as a trainer. You must make sure that your people are getting the right training, both in their product knowledge, which can only be learnt internally, and their sales skills and attitude, which is best learnt externally. Your role is of course to be continually giving them the support.
- You must be motivated yourself. If you want motivated sales people it only starts at the top. When the leaders are leading the followers will follow.
- You must have clear goals and targets that your sales people have bought into. You will de-motivate them if you set your targets too high. They must be realistic, achievable and of course challenging. Targets and competitions are most effective when they are short term. Ideally daily, weekly, monthly and maximum 3 months.
- The sales leader should hold regular sales meetings. The maximum interval, one month and the meeting should be no more than 2 hours. Weekly meetings are of course very effective where people are working out of an office. WARNING here, do not run a sales meeting unless you have been trained how to do it. (further information from Richard Denny Group – details).
- Recognition in all its various forms is your trump card in motivating people effectively. Remember, people will work harder for the right form of recognition than for a monetary incentive. So for target or goal achievement, lots of praise in public.
- It is essential that the sales leader talks regularly to their sales people, preferably on a daily basis to check on performance, pipeline, sales achieved, and of course for the sales leader to give a few pointers, a little praise and a motivational lift-up.
- Encourage all your people to give ideas for improvement. Listen to their opinions and respond within 48 hours.
- Invest in your sales people. There are still too many sales people who are not trained, even worse there are some who have been trained years ago and are still operating out of date appalling sales practice. This small investment will be the best investment you will make this year.
- Make sure that your sales people are allocating their time effectively, giving themselves maximum exposure, either on the phone or face to face with customers and potential customers. Get the balance right between TWT (total working time) and CCT (customer contact time).